The library obtained land adjoining the west side of the library after Charles Eckhart Purchased it from the city of Auburn in 1910. Mr. Eckhart wanted to ensure that the library would be visually prominent. The city then allowed Eckhart to landscape the site. Next, Mr. Eckhart purchased a fountain in 1912, which became the centerpiece of the park. The library fountain is on the Smithsonian Register of Historic Statuary
The board hired landscape architect Kevin McCrory of McCrory and Associates (now LandPlan Group) of Fort Wayne, Indiana to redesign the park during the expansion in 1997. This resulted in the library’s main entrance being moved from the east side of the building to the west along with the addition of the Niles Terrace. A prime focus of the renovation became the relationship between the library’s entrance and the park’s fountain.
The original park was mostly grass, augmented with a few shrubs and trees. During the renovation, the fountain was encircled by a brick plaza, with new diagonal sidewalks learning to Van Buren Street. The brick-paving theme was carried through to the surrounds of the restored streetlights located around the library. McCrory stayed with “old time” plants in the landscaping around the park to give a sense of enclosure and privacy to those using the park. According to McCrory, the park is like a house. Within a house you have defined spaces. Within the park can be found several defined outdoor reading areas: the fountain, the butterfly gardens, and several quiet spaces toward the edges of the park. The library park Moon Garden, located in the southeast corner of the library park, is maintained year round by the Auburn Garden Club.