Eckhart Public Library will be closed on Monday, July 3, for maintenance, and Tuesday, July 4, for the Independence Day holiday.
The library’s Technology & Maintenance Department plans to work on a project related to the library’s servers on July 3, as well as other physical maintenance projects that need to be completed.
The library will observe Independence Day on July 4.
Eckhart Public Library campus buildings will reopen with regular hours on Wednesday, July 5, for the final stretch of Eckhart Summer Read. The annual summer reading program is an opportunity for children, teens, and adults to participate in a wide variety of programs, classes, and events, and to earn the chance to win prizes by reading or researching at the Willennar Genealogy Center. All programs are free, and a library card is not required to attend.
People of all ages can sign up for Summer Read through Saturday, July 15, the last day of the program. July 15 is also the date of the library’s annual Eckhart Summer Read Grand Finale, from noon to 2 p.m. in the Library Park.
For more information about Eckhart Summer Read, visit epl.lib.in.us or speak with an Eckhart Public Library staff member.
Here’s what’s happening July 5-8:
- Library Closed Monday, July 3-Tuesday, July 4
- Family Storytime: Bring a blanket and join us on the library lawn for stories, activities, and fun! Family Storytime is designed to help your child reach his or her full potential through stories, games, crafts, and activities that encourage early literacy skills. Wednesday, July 5, 10:15-11 a.m., Library Park.
- Meet a Librarian at the Park – Forrest Park: Meet a librarian at Forrest Park for stories, games, and building activities. Wednesday, July 5, 11 a.m.-12 p.m., Forrest Park (1609 Park St.).
- Tweens/Teens with Tools: Teens in grades 6-12 can join us to build a variety of items to be used around the Eckhart Public Library campus. Wednesday, July 5, 12-1:30 p.m., Teen Library.
- Summer Pokemon Club: Do you love Pokemon? Children in grades 1-5 are welcome, and do not need to bring cards to enjoy all of our Pokemon-related activities. However, you are welcome to bring your cards and battle other enthusiasts. Participants go home with all their cards. Trading is not encouraged. Wednesday, July 5, 2-3 p.m., Secret Garden.
- Creative Writing Group: All writers 18 and older are encouraged to attend. Group members share their writing and participate in writing exercises. Wednesday, July 5, 6:30-8 p.m., JHG Room.
- Summer Food Program: Come have lunch at the library! Lunch will be served free for children and at a small cost for adults in partnership with the Summer Food Service Program. Thursday, July 6, 11:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m., Library Park.
- Kids in the Kitchen: During each hands-on session this summer, we’ll explore the wonderful world of food and cooking. We will create and eat a variety of dishes. Thursday, July 6, 2-2:45 p.m., Secret Garden.
- Throwback Thursday: The Genealogy Staff will be joining the Teens every Thursday during the summer to see what new finds we have at the Genealogy Center. Pictures, documents, and other interesting items will be on display. Thursday, July 6, 3:30-4:30 p.m., Teen Library.
- Build a Luminary: Build a better backyard space with an addition of homemade luminaries. All materials will be provided. Registration is required. Register by calling (260) 925-2414 or emailing email@example.com. Thursday, July 6, 6-7:30 p.m., Close Community Room.
- Knifty Knitters—Knit a Better World: So many charitable organizations accept knitted donations. Learn how to give back by knitting. Beginning and experienced knitters and crocheters are welcome. Struggling with a problem pattern? Help is available! Thursday, July 6, 6-7:45 p.m., Main Library.
- Eckhart Summer Read Family Programs—Touch A Truck: Join us for an evening in partnership with the Auburn Parks Department! Thursday, July 6, 6-8 p.m., Rieke Park.
- Art in Action: Children can join us this summer as we create artwork through the power of movement. We will stomp, walk, roll, and shake our way towards a masterpiece. Friday, July 7, 11 a.m.-12 p.m., Library Park.
- Time Travelers—The 80’s: We will continue to look at DeKalb County in the 1980’s. We will look at what was in the news, have fun activities, and enjoy a snack. Friday, July 7, 2-2:45 p.m., Willennar Genealogy Center.
- Magic: The Gathering at Teen: Magic: The Gathering enthusiasts in grades 6-12 can join us to play every Friday afternoon. Friday, July 7, 3-7 p.m., Teen Library.
- Play & Connect Summer Construction Zone: Join us each week this summer in our Play & Connect Construction Zone. Eckhart Public Library’s Play & Connect times are designed for children to interact with each other and engage in age-appropriate activities while adults supervise and socialize. Schedule a play date with your regular circle or expand your social network. You are welcome to come and go any time. Saturday, July 8, 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Secret Garden.
- Settling DeKalb County: Join Chelsea Dant as she shares the life and times of some of our DeKalb County settlers and how they built up our county. Saturday, July 8, 2-3 p.m., Willennar Genealogy Center.