Are you looking for a new hobby for the new year? The Willennar Genealogy Center can help!
Genealogy staff will offer three genealogy classes in January to help you get started on researching genealogy and family history.
Genealogy 101 – Getting Started is scheduled for Wednesday, January 11, from 6-7 p.m. This class will review the basics to help you get started.
On Wednesday, January 18, from 6-7 p.m., we’ll hold Genealogy 102 – Navigating the Internet. The class will focus on how to search for clues about ancestors online, and discuss websites and databases available through the library. The final class will be Genealogy 103 – Digitization on Wednesday, January 25, from 6-7 p.m. This class will explore the use of the Willennar Genealogy Center’s Makerspace. You can learn about digitizing photos, documents, slides and negatives. This will be a hands-on event so please bring an item or two to scan and a flash drive to save digital images.
All classes will be in the Learning Lab at the Willennar Genealogy Center, 700 S. Jackson St.
For more information about the classes, contact the Willennar Genealogy Center at 925-2414 ext. 420 or email@example.com.
Here’s what else is happening at Eckhart Public Library during the week of January 9:
- Eckhart Winter Read: Earn prizes and chances to win grand prizes by reading items checked out from the library or by researching at the Willennar Genealogy Center! Pick up a tally sheet and a program booklet at any public service desk at the library.
- Teen Photography Club: This social group for teens in sixth through twelfth grades promotes sharing photography experiences, ideas, knowledge, and most of all, fun! We will discuss a multitude of topics along with assigning weekly photography challenges. Monday, January 9, 5-6 p.m., Teen Library.
- Pause, Breathe: Start the year off by learning to relax. Learn some calming breathing techniques and stretches. Make a galactic “calm bottle” or a portable Zen garden. Please register by calling 260-925-2414 ext. 120 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Monday, January 9, 6-7:30 p.m., Close Community Room.
- Eckhart Winter Read for Teens – Painting, Bubble Gum, and More: Stop in anytime for abstract painting, bubble gum blowing, jump roping, and hula hooping. Tuesday, January 10-Friday, January 13, 4-7 p.m., Teen Library.
- Drop-In Storytime: Families are invited to join us for storytime fun! No registration required. Tuesday, January 10, 6:30-7:15 p.m., Secret Garden.
- Creative Writing Group: All writers over age 18, no matter the genre, are invited to attend. Group members share their writing and participate in writing exercises. Tuesday, January 10, 6:30-8 p.m., JHG Room.
- Wild Wednesday Adventure Clubs – LEGO Club: We will learn the history of LEGOs, discover how they have changed throughout time and what has stayed the same. We will also find time for everyone to build with LEGOs. Wednesday, January 11, 4-4:45 p.m., Secret Garden.
- Genealogy 101 – Getting Started: Ready to start the new year off with some family research, but not sure where to start? This class will review the basics to help get started. Wednesday, January 11, 6-7 p.m., Learning Lab at Willennar Genealogy Center.
- Super Happy Fun Time – STEAM Challenge: Design and build a shock-absorbing lander to protect two aliens during impact on Earth. Only the supplies available on the spacecraft can be used. Super Happy Fun Time is for children in kindergarten through fifth grade. Thursday, January 12, 4-4:45 p.m., Secret Garden.
- Family Game Night: Stop in for some game time at the library! This drop-in family program is recommended for families with children ages 3 & up. Children under age 7 must be accompanied by a caregiver. Playing board games is shown to help children develop good character, problem solving and reasoning skills, sharing skills by taking turns, social skills, and language skills. Friday, January 13, 4-6 p.m., Secret Garden.
- Friday Magic at Teen: Magic: The Gathering fans are invited to play at the Teen Library on Fridays. No registration is required. Friday, January 13, 5-6 p.m., Teen Library.
- Back to the Future at Teen: We will watch “Back to the Future” and have a sock hop. Saturday, January 14, 2-5 p.m., Teen Library.
- Register for Cocoa & Canvas – Time Travel: Enjoy a warm beverage while completing a painting led by artists from The Window Nook Studio. Cost is free, but registration is limited to 25 people. Please register by calling 260-925-2414 ext. 120 or by emailing email@example.com. Tuesday, February 7, 6-8 p.m., Close Community Room.
Beginning in 2017, we will be posting our “This Week at Eckhart Public Library” feature the weekend before the week featured. We hope that this will allow you more time to plan to enjoy our library programs and services. Information about library activities is also available on the calendar at our website. You can also receive a weekly email newsletter, featuring library services and activities, by registering here. We have exciting plans to upgrade our newsletter in Spring 2017, so register now to be one of the first people to take advantage of this spring!