Eckhart Public Library’s historic fountain is undergoing renovation, and funds are still needed to bring the fountain back to the library’s park this summer.
Donations can be given online through the Community Foundation of DeKalb County’s online giving portal; be sure to designate your gift for the EPL Fountain Fund. You may also download a pledge card or pick up a pledge card at the library. All gifts will be matched up to $100,000 through a generous donation by Rick and Vicki James.
The fountain was a gift from library benefactor Charles Eckhart to the community, and it is listed on the Smithsonian Register of Historic Statuary.
Also happening at Eckhart Public Library this week:
- Library Closed: The buildings on the Eckhart Public Library Campus will be closed April 1-4 for maintenance. The library campus buildings will reopen on Tuesday, April 5, with regular hours.
- EPL’s Tournament of Books: It’s the final week for EPL’s Tournament of Books! Vote for your favorite fiction and nonfiction book of the previous year for a chance to win a $25 gift card to Barnes and Noble. You can vote once a round in one or both categories. You can vote in person or online.
- EPL’s Tournament of Teen Books: Only you can help your favorite book in the battle to greatness! Each round you participate in by choosing your picks will enter you into the drawing to be our winner (for a total of 4 entries possible per child in 6th-12th grades). All ages are eligible to vote, but only a child in 6th-12th grades may enter the drawing. The winner will receive the winning book from our 2016 Tournament of Books!
- EPL’s Tournament of Kid’s Books: Only you can help your favorite book in the battle to greatness! Each round you participate in by choosing your picks will enter you into the drawing to be our winner (for a total of 4 entries possible per child 5th grade and younger). All ages are eligible to vote, but only a child 5th grade and younger may enter the drawing. The winner will receive the winning book from our 2016 Tournament of Books!
- Register for BeginINbooks: Registration is open for BeginINbooks! BeginINbooks is presented by Eckhart Public Library free of charge and meets each Monday from April 18 to May 23 from 6:30-7:30 p.m. This program encourages development and improvement of the skills children will need as they begin kindergarten. Each one-hour session will focus on different kindergarten readiness and literacy skills necessary for success. Activities are developed to allow children to work on gross and fine motor skills, as well as develop listening and cooperation skills. Parents will be encouraged to join us as we conclude each session to hear what skills we focused on that evening, and learn about opportunities to reinforce and practice those skills at home. We will be learning social and emotional skills (April 18), math concepts (April 25), alphabet and phonics (May 2), reading literacy (May 9), language (May 16), and fine motor and writing skills (May 23). Space is limited. Register by calling the Children’s Department at 925-2414 ext. 320.
- Peg + Cat Screening: In a partnership with PBS39, Eckhart Public Library is excited to host a screening of the new Peg + Cat movie! The screening will include popcorn and activities! Monday, March 28, 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Secret Garden.
- Super Happy Fun Time – Movie and Popcorn: Join us for movie and freshly popped popcorn. We will vote on what movie/episode to watch. Super Happy Fun Time is for children in kindergarten through fifth grade. Thursday, March 31, 3-3:45 p.m., Children’s Department.
- Tabletop Game Night: On the last Thursday of each month, come play tabletop games! Bring your favorite board game, card game, tile game, or other tabletop game, or join in a game with fellow gamers. Thursday, March 31, 6-8 p.m., Close Community Room.
- Teen Poetry Contest: April is National Poetry Month, and teens in grades 6-12 are invited to participate in our Teen Poetry Contest. Pieces can be submitted April 1st – 30th. All styles are welcome! First Prize wins $50; Second Prize is $20; and Third Prize is $10. Submissions can be emailed to email@example.com or dropped off at The Teen Library.